I am...

Check out our information tailored to your family

Starting amount, What Is It?

In Flanders, upon the birth or adoption of your child, you receive a one-time starting amount (the new name for maternity allowance or birth premium in Flanders) of €1.214,49. This can help cover expenses related to your baby's needs. Convenient, right? In the case of twins or multiples, you receive this amount for each child. If you apply for the starting amount during pregnancy, you can receive it as early as 2 months before the estimated due date. After your baby's birth, you will automatically receive your monthly Growth Package, the new Flemish child benefits, without needing to take any further action.

Your Starting amount in Flanders: €1.214,49 for each child

Apply for it on time. It only takes a few minutes.

Apply now for your starting amount of € 1.214,49. This will only take a few minutes.

You can already apply for your starting amount during pregnancy. If you do it on time, you can receive your starting amount as early as 2 months before the estimated date of birth!

Your timeline

Enter the estimated date of birth (DD/MM/YYYY) and your postal code next to it to find out when you will receive your starting amount and Growth Package.
You are pregnant: file your application for the starting amount on time and you can receive it as much as two months before the assumed delivery date
Your starting amount will be paid out at the earliest on dd/mm/yyyy
The estimated due date of your child is dd/mm/yyyy
You are entitled to the Growth Package starting from mm/yyyy (you don't need to do anything for this)
Your Growth Package will be paid for the first time on dd/mm/yyyy
Afterward, you will receive your Growth Package every month

Application and Payment

When can you apply for the starting amount?
Before Birth
In Flanders, you can apply for the starting amount during your pregnancy.

If you do this on time, you can receive the starting amount as early as 2 months before your expected due date. 

To be able to pay your startbedrag, we need a pregnancy certificate that states that you're at least 5 months pregnant. You can immediately upload this document when you apply or you can just send it to us later on. To help you, we will remind you to send us the certificate on the right moment, so you can receive your startbedrag nicely on time. 
After Birth
You can still apply for the starting amount after the birth of your baby. You are entitled to the starting amount up to 5 years after your child's birth. You can do this by filling out our online form or by sending the original birth certificate you received from the municipality (by mail or email) to your nearest Parentia office.
Who should apply for the starting amount?
Usually, it is the (future) mother who applies for the starting amount since it is paid to her.
When is the starting amount paid?
Before Birth
If you apply  during your pregnancy, you can receive the starting amount as early as 2 months before your expected due date. This allows you to prepare for your baby's arrival thoroughly.
After Birth
If your baby is already born, you will receive the starting amount as soon as possible after your application or after we receive the birth certificate.

What is your current situation?

Pregnancy and childbirth
Twins or Multiples?
You receive a one-time starting amount of €1.214,49 for each child. Just make sure the pregnancy certificate you include with your application specifies that you are five months pregnant with multiples.
Giving Birth Abroad
Various international guidelines govern the allocation of the starting amount and the Growth Package in this case. Contact Parentia for more information.
My Child has a Disability or Condition
Please contact us so that we can determine if you are eligible for an increased Growth Package.
What If Things Don't Go as Planned?
We understand how painful and impactful a miscarriage or the loss of your child at birth can be. Surround yourself with supportive people, and we are also here to answer your questions. If your pregnancy lasted more than 180 days, you are also entitled to the starting amount (send us the 'certificate of stillborn child' you receive from your municipality).
I Am Adopting a Child
In the case of adoption, you are also entitled to a one-time premium, specifically the adoption starting amount, the new Flemish adoption premium. As soon as you have submitted the adoption request to the court, you can apply for this premium. You are entitled to the adoption premium up to 5 years after adopting your child.
Maternity Leave and Benefits
I want to take maternity leave earlier.
Before birth you can take up to 6 weeks (8 weeks in case of multiples) of pregnancy leave of which 1 week mandatory. After birth you're entitled to at least 9 weeks of pregnancy leave.
I am self-employed and want to take maternity leave.
As a self employed mother you are entitled to 12 weeks (13 in case of multiples). You are obliged to take 3 weeks of leave and of those 3 weeks, 1 has to be taken before birth. As a self employed mother you are also entitled to maternity assistance.

Why choose Parentia?

Know more about Parentia
Manage your online file with My Parentia
As a parent, you'll find a convenient overview of everything related to the payment of your Growth Package on My Parentia (payment dates, certificates, changing bank account information, etc.).
Go to My Parentia
Assistance with your family administration
You'll find clear answers to your questions about your family administration with us and receive tips on keeping it organized. Your administration has never been this simple!
Go to Family Administration
A quick service and numerous ways to contact us
Any questions about your Growth Package or family administration? Contact us via email or telephone or make an appointment for a video call or a physical visit in one of our agencies. Our experts are at your disposal.
How to contact us
Accurate payments and personalized advice
We ensure a punctual and accurate payment of your Growth Package every month and make sure you receive all the supplements you are entitled to. You can easily reach out to us for quick and personalized advice.

Calculate your Growth Package

This is what our families are saying

8 months pregnant
"Very pleased about Parentia's services. Quick processing an handling of our file. The startbedrag was transferred rapidly. Kind and helpful employees. Great website with a lot of useful information"
Affiliated with Parentia for 6 years
"I don't usually have a lot of questions, but when I do, I always get a quick respons! Thank you!"
Just recently affiliated with Parentia
"I only had to call once and this woman helped me right away. She told me exactly what to do. Already very satisfied!"

What Do You Need to Arrange Before and After Birth?

1. Notify Your Employer 

Do this at least 7 weeks before giving birth. Provide your employer with a medical certificate [link am I required to inform my employer] that specifies your expected due date. Once your employer is informed about your pregnancy, you are also protected from dismissal.

2. A Midwife and Postpartum Care: Not Luxuries!

The first few weeks after giving birth can be quite an adjustment, and you can use all the help you can get. It's best to request a midwife and postpartum care a few months before your due date, through your mutual insurance or www.i-mens.be. A midwife provides medical guidance during and after pregnancy, while a postpartum caregiver assists with baby care and light household work.

3. Register the Birth of Your Child

You must report the birth of your child to the civil registry of the municipality where your child was born within 15 days of the birth. You will need the identity cards of both parents, the medical birth certificate, and possibly your marriage certificate or the acknowledgment of paternity before birth. Sometimes, you can register the birth at the maternity hospital.

4. Kind en Gezin is also by your side. 

Baby on the way? Just like Parentia, Kind en Gezin wants to assist you when your baby arrives. You can already get to know Kind en Gezin's preventive family support during an initial interview before your child is born. When you apply for the startbedrag, Kind en Gezin will receive your contact data and a colleague in your proximity can contact you. Practical, right?

5. Inform the Necessary Agencies:

  • Your health insurance fund
  • The child daycare daycare so they know when to expect your child
  • Your insurer: add your child to your hospitalization or family insurance if you have one
  • Kind & Gezin

Groeipakket or child benefit? Startbedrag or maternity allowance?

Since 2019 Groeipakket (Growth Package) is the new name for child benefit in Flanders. the Groeipakket contains more than what used to be the child benefit: next to the old child benefit, the Groeipakket also contains  a series of new supplements on which children in Flanders, depending on their situation, might be entitled. also the startbedrag is part of the Groeipakket. Since 2019 this one time amount received at the birth of each child, is called startbedrag (starting amount) in stead of birth allowance.